Maryville and Knoxville, TN
A gorgeous smile is the ultimate goal for most people, but not all will take the steps necessary to maintain it. To help you get started on your way to a gorgeous smile, you must take immediate action to help prevent problems before the damage gets out of hand. Cosmetic dentists in Maryville at Crestview Dental Care want to share with you five steps to maintaining a gorgeous smile.
The Necessity of Proper Dental Care
Let’s first take a look at the importance of proper dental care. It begins with you. The more you brush and floss on a daily basis, the healthier your smile will be.
When you take care of your teeth and your mouth, you will experience these healthy rewards:
- Protection from tooth decay
- Prevention of gum disease
- Teeth that last longer and are stronger
- Better breath
- A whiter smile
- Faster and easier dental visits
- Little to no high-cost repairs or procedures
- Good overall health
5 Steps to Keep a Gorgeous Smile
- Oral Hygiene – It is recommended that you brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once a day to remove food debris and plaque that builds up that can cause cavities and other damage to your teeth and gums. Feel free to ask Crestview Dental Care about the proper way to brush and floss your teeth during your next appointment.
- Sugar is a No-No – Limiting sugary foods and beverages will help reduce your risk of cavities. Sugar fuels cavity-causing bacteria that breakdown into acids on your teeth. This substance develops into a sticky film called biofilm. You should brush your teeth regularly, at least twice a day, to reduce the buildup of biofilm and your risk of developing tooth decay.
- Quit Smoking – There are several medical problems that develop when you smoke or chew tobacco. Your gums and mouth are in direct contact with the smoke and, therefore, can suffer from oral cancer or gum disease. Plus, tobacco use leads to dingy teeth, and stains that can be difficult to remove without professional whitening treatments. Additionally, using tobacco can significantly increase your risk of developing gum disease, which is the leading cause of tooth loss among adults. Talk to your doctor today about the best method for you to quit smoking.
- Clean Your Tongue – When you look in the mirror and notice a white film on your tongue, that is a sign of excess debris in your mouth. You should remove the debris with a tongue cleaner or scrub it with your toothbrush. Use a back and forth motion over the surface of the tongue twice a day to remove the debris.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly – Brushing and flossing are the best at-home care practices for a gorgeous smile. However, there are some hard to reach places that require special tools and a trained dental professional to clean.
We are currently accepting new patients at our Knoxville and Maryville, TN, office. Let us help you maintain a gorgeous smile through our preventive care program. Contact Crestview Dental Care today to schedule your appointment for your initial consultation at (865) 982-1700.